The History of the Town Hall Theatre
Originally the Town Hall, the building was built in conjunction with the former Technical College (now demolished), with the foundation stone being laid on the 18th December 1895 by Councillor George Pyman JP. The formal opening took place on the 1st October 1897. The building is beautiful and ornate and was designed by architect Henry Arthur Cheers of Twickenham in the Tudor Gothic style. Above the window on Raby Road sits a carved Coat of Arms of West Hartlepool. In 1977 the building was renovated as a theatre and the Technical school was demolished late in that year.
The Town Hall Theatre in the 21st Century
The theatre now has a capacity of 400 and puts on a variety of professional and community-based shows. Back stage the building has rehearsal spaces used by local dance schools and dressing rooms. The Town Hall Theatre is also home to a theatre school, small scale upstairs theatre and the Empire Bar.